Tuesday, January 1, 2008

My First Campaign Rally

01/01/2008 20:30 CST. I felt hot and sweaty standing there in my sweater and plump winter jacket. The familiar, creaky, plastic-disguised-as-wood gym floor brought back fond memories of grade school. The many basketball hoops had been folded back to make way for all the attendees. At least 100 people stood crowded together in front of me, and many more behind me. They were men, women, and children of all age groups. They came to hear about one message: Change.

Change is the theme Senator Barack Obama has adopted for his 2008 presidential campaign. The event was one of many of Obama's campaign rallies in Iowa today ahead of the Iowa Democratic caucus coming up in just 2 days. Although I am not an Iowan and thus will not be caucusing, I nonetheless attended to hear about change.

Change. Doesn't it sound good? After years of Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld-Rice-Gonzalez-Rove-etc, change can only be a good thing. And it certainly sounded good tonight. Obama really seems to have his priorities in order. Not only that, but he has plans about how to accomplish them. There is the plan for universal health care, providing cost coverage to all. Then there are plans to improve education, with optional universal pre-K and after school programs. And as for the economy, he promises tax cuts for the middle class.

All this and more sounds too good to be true. And it may be. However, based on his political track record so far, Obama is a man of strong convictions and he is even willing to work with his enemies to fight for his convictions. He is so far free of lies, deception, ties to special interests, or other corruptions. Moreover, being young and smart, he will be able to bring a fresh perspective to Washington.

I think Obama deserves serious consideration for the democratic nomination for president. There is still time to decide on this issue. But in the meantime, think change--think Obama.
------------------------------------------------------
My name is Mubeen Khan and I approve this message!

1 comment:

Rabia said...

Very true...and I love that last line!! You can use it anytime you want to drive a point home in a conversation.